Abakaliki and the Fulani of Igbo land

By Ifeanyichukwu Sanctify

When I was growing up, I always hear the word Nwoke Ijekabe and Nwanyi Ijekabe, many things was said about them of how they use their servant (nwaboyi) for ritual and how their women tire our men that makes them not to return village during festival season, or return with empty handed. 


In 2006 when I come to Nnewi for my (boyii) service, I began to hear nwabakaliki already in my village it's Ijekabe we are calling. When some keep calling me nwabakaliki, I confronted one asked him to stop calling me nwabakaliki because I'm not Abakaliki but to no avail. I started calling Nnewi people nwaawka, Imo people nwaowerri but they are not comfortable answering it, I told them that is how its to me, calling Ezzama boy nwabakaliki is an insult.

       Characters

Nnewi love cheating but Ebonyi State hate cheating, most Ebonyi citizens are weak in argument and because most of them don't like the tag on them nwabakaliki, they always feel intimidated, some can't even try to prove you wrong for taking him or her as second class citizens, by applying wisdom and paying you good as a result of evil you did against him. Ebonyi people are not violent but they are not fairly treated. Ebonyi people don't last in argument next thing will be fight, Ebonyi people hate cheating, they will fighting you to the end. They insult Ebonyi people so much that one I throw open challenge to my fellow umu boyii in our line. I said I'm from Ebonyi if all the evil you level against Ebonyi people are true? tell me one good thing you do better than me?? I'm the prayer coordinator of our line what contribution are people from other states contributing in our line? 

Violent and accusations

When there's any violent or killing you will hear people should Abakaliki people again despite not knowing those involve even my fellow Christians, immediately they heard Abakaliki is not involved, the story will die immediately. In many occasions brother's are killing brothers even in Nnewi and all over the world, but if it done by Abakaliki people the whole media platforms will carry it.

Causes of fighting

Ebonyi people believe most on petty job's, they are not greedy, they are not envious and they are contented. In most cases after doing you some jobs will not pay them nor give them the actual price agreed, expect war because Ebonyi person will not leave one naira for you provided both of you agreed on the said amount.


Why Abakaliki don't last in (boyii)

With the word above, it's all create fear and makes us not to go for (boyii). Some of our people will come with open mind to serve after many years either they accuse him of stealing or send him back home. Most Ebonyi citizens coming to serve after hearing what happened to his brother is always well prepared for you. Treat him well he will give you the best, insult and embarrass he will give you fire. They hate too much quarrel but accept correction in good faith.

Finally; every state has their own weakness, every community has their own weakness, every family has their own weakness, and everybody has their own weakness. Ebonyi people are respectful and beautiful people. Respect them they will shower you with love, hate them they will make sure you regrets this life. 

Ebonyi people Love's themselves, they fight themselves, quarrel but still live together, eat together and drink together.

Stop discrimination against them. Thanks and remain blessed.

Remember Jesus Christ died for you.

Comments